How to Apply

Apply to Study

To study in Canada you’ll need to apply for admission to an institution before applying for a student visa from the Canadian Government.

There are a number of steps you must follow:

  1. Decide on your preferred course and institution.
  2. Submit your application to the institution.
  3. Receive your Letter of Acceptance.
  4. Apply for your student visa.

There is a range of entry requirements that you will need to meet both for you institution application and your visa application. This can include:

  1. Academic requirements.
  2. English language requirements.
  3. Evidence of funds to support your study.
  4. Overseas student health cover.

If you’re already living or working in Canada, you may still be able to apply to study here as an international student.

Education agents in your home country can also help you with applying to study in Canada.



Information about Visas

To study in Canada you’ll need a study permit and possibly a visitor visa.

For detailed information, please visit Canadian Immigration and Citizenship:

Obtaining a temporary resident visa and study permit

Students should make sure their passport is valid for the entire period of study. They must undergo a medical examination if their home country is on Citizenship and Immigration Canada’s Designated Country list.

Details of how and where the medical exam takes place come by mail from the Canadian Embassy or the Canadian Consulate once you have applied. It may take up to six weeks to receive the results of the exam.

Temporary resident visa and study permit

Once you have received a letter of acceptance from a Canadian educational institution, you may begin the application process to get a temporary resident visa and a study permit.

Study permits are required for those planning to study in Canada for a period longer than six months. It is not necessary to make a separate application or pay a separate fee for the temporary resident visa. An embassy or consulate officer will issue it at the same time as the documentation you will need to enter Canada. In most cases, study permits are not issued until the student first enters and presents the necessary documents.

Recent changes mean international students enrolled in secondary schools can now obtain high school study permits, which are valid for a longer period of time. Under proposed changes to the current system, students will be allowed to transfer to different programs or institutions without having to change their study permits.