Skip to main content

Download iCent App

The Labour Market in Nova Scotia

When thinking of planning your career in Nova Scotia, a good place to start is to learn more about the labour market to understand which industries are in high demand. The higher the percentage of the industry, the higher the chances of finding work after graduation.  

 Occupation Groups (with above-average chances of finding work (%)) 

  • Health Occupations (89%) 
  • Sales and service occupations (79%) 
  • Natural and applied sciences and related occupations (55%) 
  • Management occupations (52%) 
  • Trades, transport, and equipment operations and related occupations (48%) 
  • Business, finance, and administration occupations (32%) 
  • Education, law and social, community, and government services (26%) 
  • Natural resources, agriculture and related production occupations (15%) 
  • Occupations in manufacturing and utilities (12%) 

Find out which academic programs are available in the province that can prepare you to work in these areas on the iCent app.

Kings Students1

Career Services  

Once enrolled at your institution, you can generally count on Career Services support. This is an amazing resource to help you prepare to apply for jobs and achieve your career goals. At some institutions, you will be able to book career advising sessions and participate in workshops and events. 

For now, you can get an idea of what career services individual institutions offer by visiting their web pages and connecting with them after you arrive and begin your studies.


International Students Working Rights  

Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has a webpage with detailed information about Studying and Working in Canada as an International Student. We recommend you review this webpage, as many conditions must be observed in relation to working as an international student.  

Some of these conditions include: 

  • You can work as an international post-secondary student in Canada if your study permit includes the conditions that say you’re allowed to work on-campus and off-campus. 
  • You can only start working in Canada once you’ve begun your study program. 
  • You cannot work before your studies begin. 
  • You will need to apply online or in person for a Social Insurance Number (SIN) to work in Canada.

Work On-Campus 

You can work on-campus as an international student without a work permit if: 

  • You are a full-time, post-secondary student at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) 
  • Have a valid study permit, and 
  • Have a Social Insurance Number 

Work Off-Campus 

You can work off-campus, without a work permit, up to 24 hours per week during regular school terms/semester if: 

  • You’re a full-time student at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) 
  • You’re enrolled in a post-secondary academic, vocational or professional training program. 
  • Your study program is at least 6 months long and leads to a degree, diploma or certificate (you cannot work during ESL training or prerequisite course work)  

Work During Scheduled Breaks 

You can work full-time during scheduled breaks in the school year, such as winter and summer holidays or fall or spring reading week. You must be a full-time student both before and after the break to work full-time. You can’t work during a break that comes before you start your very first school semester.  

If your academic program includes an internship or co-op work experience, you will typically have to apply for a co-op work permit to enable you to work full-time during your required work experience.