If you’re an international student in your final year of study in Nova Scotia, we’d like to encourage you to stay.
Apply now to join a group of select final (graduating) international students who will be part of a unique program designed to help them forge a successful future here in Nova Scotia.
Students who successfully gain entry into the Stay in Nova Scotia Program (STAY-NS) will be provided with enhanced support during their final year of study and post-graduation, to ensure they are equipped with the cultural, language, career, and networking support needed to launch a successful career and fulfilling life in Nova Scotia.
About the STAY in Nova Scotia Program
STAY-NS is a province wide cohort program that connects final year (graduating) international students directly to the labour market, helps them to build valuable employment skills, workplace knowledge, and build meaningful and professional connections. The goal of STAY-NS is to support international students to stay, live, and work in Nova Scotia. The program provides participants with a network of skills, resources, and support that is essential as they transition from ‘student’ to ‘professional’ post-graduation.
Participating Students will be provided with one-on-one enhanced and group supports throughout their final year of study in Nova Scotia to ensure each student gains the education, tools, support, and community connections needed to launch a successful career and fulfilling life in Nova Scotia.
A managed mentorship component is an integral part of the STAY-NS program, providing opportunities for students to apply their learnings, build connections, and gain understanding of Nova Scotia’s workplace culture and labor market opportunities.
The program focuses on:
cultural and social adaptation
language and communication
career and labour market support
making meaningful and professional connections
access to immigration resources and support
*Application deadline is September 24, 2017*
WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO APPLY?
Applicants MUST be beginning their final year of study in fall (September) 2017 and expected to graduate from their program of study in spring or fall 2018.
Applicants must be attending one of the following Nova Scotia institutions:
- Acadia University
- Atlantic School of Theology
- Cape Breton University
- Dalhousie University
- Mount Saint Vincent University
- Université Sainte-Anne
- St. Francis Xavier University
- Nova Scotia Community College
- NSCAD University
- University of Kings College
- Saint Mary’s University
The STAY-NS program will run from fall (October) 2017 to summer (July/August) 2018. Applicants must be committed to living and working in Nova Scotia post-graduation and demonstrate outstanding leadership or initiative on/off campus.
While there is no set GPA requirement, students should be in good academic standing and have contributed to their academic and/or social communities.
Chosen applicants will be expected to participate and complete all program tasks and activities, and commit approximately 4-6 hours of their time per month—including an active mentorship component.
Before You Apply: Please review eligibility (see above) and the following:
- Applicants must demonstrate suitability for the program by completing an online application process, highlighting why they want to live and work in Nova Scotia. They must provide details about the skills and experiences they bring to the program, and how they plan to contribute to their Nova Scotia community post-graduation.
- Mandatory: Applicants must have an active LinkedIn profile and will be asked to upload their link when applying.
- Mandatory: Chosen applicants must be able to attend a mandatory Program Launch and Orientation Retreat from October 13th-15th, 2017.
- The program will be delivered in English, with options for French in the mentorship component.
Applications must be received by midnight on September 24th, 2017. Applicants will receive notice of acceptance into the program by September 29th, 2017.
For benefits of the STAY-NS program, please check out our video: